The GreenRenter team
GreenRenter is brought to you by a team of Portlanders. Our backgrounds include sustainable development, green building, energy efficiency and internet technology. We were friends before we became business partners. And like many other business ideas, GreenRenter was born over a glass of local brew on Hawthorne Blvd in Portland, Oregon!
For us, green building at its best means creating healthy communities. We believe renters deserve access to information about how their building was constructed and how it operates. We believe owners who are taking positive steps should have a forum to share their successes. With climate change, poverty and environmental degradation on the rise, we believe the positive trend to live and work in healthy communities will continue to grow out of necessity.
Mission statement - to inspire renters and owners to go green
GreenRenter will inspire renters and owners to go green. We will make it easy for renters to find and evaluate green properties. We will help owners learn new strategies for sustainability and showcase their efforts.
How we walk our talk - GreenRenter is serious about sustainability
We are serious about sustainability - in how we operate GreenRenter and in our own lives. GreenRenter had a nearly paperless birth. From our founding days, we structured business operations to have very low carbon emissions. We are proud to be year-round bike commuters, purchasers of renewable energy and carbon offsets, locavores, active volunteers in our community and conscientious consumers. We believe strongly that our voices, our votes and our livelihoods matter, and in all these things we try to make choices that contribute to the common good.
Our business philosophy
Without a doubt, today's successful businesses prioritize more than just profits. We believe in the triple-bottom-line and know that each decision we make has an impact on the community, the environment and the economy.
As we grow we will strive to meet the criteria laid out by Upstream21:
- Place high value on being a local/regional presence.
- Understand the ecological crisis and the need to take meaningful steps toward environmental sustainability.
- Recognize and value the role of our employees in the success of our businesses.
- Demonstrate a commitment to transparency, openness and integrity.
- Have a solid management team.
- Prefer strategic growth that emphasizes regional and sustainable production rather than “growth at any price.”
- Manage a values-driven business model that produces solid profitability, cash flow and balance sheets.
- Offer attractive products and services for a sustainable future.